It's no secret that Fall is here, and cold weather will be in NC before we know it. With cooler temperatures and our vehicles recovering from the hot summer, it is the time of mechanical failure for cars, SUVs, and trucks.
The most reliable way to avoid car problems this season is to stay on top of preventative maintenance before winter rolls around. Here are some of STR Automotive’s top tips for what kind of preventative maintenance is most important and how to avoid those costly breakdowns down the road:
- Engine - Engine problems such as hard starts, rough idling, stalling, or overall lack of acceleration power can sometimes arise as the weather cools off. To avoid these troubles, make sure you get your oil change and have your engine components inspected.
- Cooling System - Coolant fluid is key to maintaining a stable engine temperature, and this car fluid should be flushed every 1-2 years.
- Windshield Wipers - Rain or snow, you’re going to need to make sure your wipers are able to clear off your windscreen effectively. You wipers should work smoothly and silently. The best ones to get are resistance to ice.
- Heater/Defroster - It is always safe to run your car on high heat to ensure it can warm up the passenger cabin. At STR Automotive, we want you and your loved ones to stay comfortable.
- Battery - When you bring your vehicle in for service, make sure your mechanic runs a quick battery test to see if it can hold a proper charge. Furthermore, don’t forget to clean your battery so that it is free of corrosion.
- Tires - Tire health is critical no matter the season and no matter what terrain you drive on. With grounds being wet from rain or snow in the upcoming months, make sure your tires are properly inflated and have good remaining tread. This ensures proper traction or grip on the road.
If you need assistance getting your vehicle ready for the cooler months, feel free to bring your car, SUV, or truck to the certified professionals at STR Automotive soon. We look forward to helping you!